The Nisqually tribe arrived in the area at least 5700 years ago, subsisting on shellfish from the beaches and salmon from Sequalitchew Creek. Captain George Vancouver mapped the area in 1792, and in 1833, the Hudson’s Bay Company established a fur trading post at Fort Nisqually. The fort was relocated upstream in 1843.
DuPont was officially incorporated on March 26, 1912, and was re-incorporated in 1951. DuPont has recently undergone a modern transformation as the modern planned communities such as “Northwest Landing” has been realized. The city is expected to have a built out population of 12,000+.
DuPont is divided into several “villages”, each with their own design style and/or building contractors. Northwest Landing is the most visible due to a sign along the freeway announcing it. Several businesses have opened in the downtown area, but development has slowed in recent years. Hoffman Hill is the largest in size, and houses about 60% of the total population. The Historic Village, a residential area, is the only part of DuPont that is not a modern planned community and is on the registry of historic places. Bell Hill is considered the most expensive area. DuPont has trails and green belts throughout, and is about 95% built out according to the master plan. Sections that remain empty are stalled due to economic conditions, or pre-existing activities that prevent development until completed.
The median income for a household in the city was $52,969, and the median income for a family was $57,202. Males had a median income of $42,946 versus $36,741 for females. The per capita income for the city was $22,742. About 2.2% of families and 4.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 3.5% of those under age 18 and 2.5% of those age 65 or over.